First and foremost, giving and receiving gifts are hands down some of our favorite things to do! There's something so sweet and heartwarming about the thought that goes into giving a gift, and we feel such a sense of gratitude and honor when we receive one. In the spirit of giving and receiving, we put together this guide for mindful gifting this season. Scroll for more!
- SHOP SMALL & BUY LOCALLY! The holiday shopping season is a great time to support small businesses. Each time you purchase from a small business, you are positively impacting the life of a real person ! Trust us when we say that we literally do a little dance every single time an order comes in. :) According to the Small Business Administration, the 28 million small businesses in America account for 54 percent of all sales in the U.S. Plus small businesses have provided 55 percent of all jobs and 66 percent of all new jobs since the 1970s. When you make a purchase at a small business, you are doing your part to stimulate the local economy.
- SHOP ETHICALLY. There's nothing wrong with buying new clothes, but every dollar we spend makes an impact. While you're shopping this year, commit to only buying items that are sustainable, USA-made, cruelty-free, fairtrade, or second hand, and make a statement with each gift you give.
- GIVE THE GIFT OF TIME OR SERVICE. This is one of our favorite ways to be mindful during the holidays. Offer to volunteer at an animal shelter together, run a 5k for a good cause, or make a date to simply walk in the park, and the memories will last forever.
- GIVE NON-MATERIAL ITEMS. Give a non-material gift such as festival tickets, a charitable donation in the receiver's name, a massage or spa treatment, or a download of your favorite DJ/Singer/Band's latest album.
- BUY SECONDHAND. This one is self explanatory! Shop at thrift stores or local vintage shops (give a gift card if you aren't sure what size your gift receiver is...or what color they would prefer...or if they are super hard to shop for like *some of us* over here!). Add a personal touch by customizing your gift - sew on some fringe, reupholster a chair, paint a mini-mural on a boot, or draw a personal illustration inside a book.
- FINALLY, MAKE ROOM FOR NEW GIFTS IN A MINDFUL WAY. If you're receiving new clothes this year, you may have to get rid of a few things to make room for your new treasures. Make sure you're discarding your old items in the appropriate way to reduce landfill use and be kindest to the environment. Our favorite way to do this is to host a post-holiday clothing swap with friends! One woman's trash is another woman's treasure, as they say. :) If you're left with items after the swap, take old clothes to a local second hand store (or try re-selling them if they're in good condition). If your clothes are too trashed to be donated, find out if you have textile recycling in your area before throwing them away. Click here for a great article with info on the impact that clothing is making on our landfills and envrironment.
We hope our guide is helpful! Feel free to share, and leave your own ideas in the comments below. Happy Season of Gratitude!